So, I've been doing a lot of sewing lately because when the urge to sew hits me, it hits hard. Like a semi truck. Or my dog running a thousand miles per hour because she is a dog and has nothing better to do with her time.
But because of this urge, I've been making a lot of skirts lately. One of the more ridiculous ones I've made has been this monstrosity [as featured in an obligatory mirror selfie because why not]--
Care to make one for yourself? [Because you should. Everyone should dress like a princess at least daily]. Then follow along!
This one started out with me scrounging through my basement and stumbling across five yards of white tulle. Where did it come from? Eh, no one knows. Which automatically makes it mine. For the lining, I also used about 2 yards of white broadcloth, plus another 1/4 yard of broadcloth to make a waistband. Oh yeah, and don't forget a zipper and matching thread and a sewing machine and all that nonsense.
After gathering my materials, I summoned my trusty Kitty helper and began cutting the fabric. All I did was cut the broadcloth in half lengthwise, and did the same thing with the tulle.
With the extra scrap of broadcloth, I cut out a rectangle that was 3" x 29" [or your waist measurement plus 2 inches for wiggle room].
Also, [very important step] with my extra tulle that I ended up with, I tied it to my helper's collar because he is a beautiful fairy princess.
Next, I gathered my layers of tulle and broadcloth, which I did separately and then attached together. Using the longest stitch length available, I ran two rows of straight stitches close together along the entire length of the broadcloth, making sure not to backstitch and to leave pretty long threads after running the rows. Then, pulling on just the top threads [or bottom, doesn't matter], I gathered the broadcloth so that it was the same length as my waistband. I then did the same exact process with the tulle.
Then I attended to my waistband itself. To make life easier, I pressed it in half lengthwise, then pressed the sides up again about 3/4"
Here's what I mean by pressing the sides up, if that makes more sense. Also, I forgot to photograph this part, but I also sewed the tulle and the broadcloth together after gathering them to the same length.
The last thing to do was attach the waistband to the skirt. How I did this was I basically encased the skirt part with the waistband. So instead of having all the raw edges poking out, I hid them inside of the waistband by attaching it thus--
Hopefully the pictures make more sense than I do because words and I aren't cooperating right now haha.
Finally, I just ran two rows of straight stitches along the waistband to attach everything together, making sure to backstitch at the ends. After everything was put together, I inserted a zipper and sewed down the back seam to make it a complete skirt!
Aaaaand booyah. Tulle majesty. I thought about trimming the tulle to make it the same length as the broadcloth, but a) that would take effort, and b) more tulle = more princess.
Now excuse me while I go frolic in the woods and speak to woodland creatures...