Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Ripped Jeans to Shorts

I love making tutorials; I love to share the things I make, and I think it's fun when people share their process. Because let's be honest- who remembers exactly what they did 100 percent of the time? [Not me anyway... I instantly forget things.]
So I thought I'd maybe put some more tutorials together this summer :]

Let's start out with something easy though, yeah?



This has become somewhat of a yearly ritual for me. At the beginning of every summer, I recycle my beat up jeans into some more modest shorts [because I'm not entirely a fan of all the hoochie length shorts that stores try to shove on girls my age...].




Also, am I the only one who annihilates jeans during the winter? Because I feel like whenever I rip jeans, it isn't just a little tear. It's like they freaking went Titanic and destroyed themselves. Go big or go home I guess?




And I've learned that over time, covering the hole up with a cat simply does not work.... unfortunately...




So here is what I do! It's really common sense, but I just wanted to get back into the whole tutorial thing with something easy:

  1. Chop off the wreckage just above the top rip... or to a little longer than your desired length. Mine were [clearly] ripped pretty high, so I cut right above the rip to salvage a little more length.
  2. Fold them pants up and amputate the other leg.
  3. Fold the bottoms of the legs up twice on the outside and pin down, though I suppose you could do it on the inside too. I just like the looks of the outside hem better.
  4. Tack the hems down with a few stitches on the outer and inner existing seams. 

And there you have it! A brand new [old] pair of shorts from those ratty ripped jeans! Whoop whoop!



I'll be linkin' this puppy up HURR and to Savvy Southern Style, yo.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Becca! I love this and I featured you over at Monday Funday! Thanks for partying with us! Pinning to our Pinterest board as well!

    http://www.thatswhatchesaid.net/2013/10-summer-essentials/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even tell you how many jeans I have with ripped knees. I also don't own any shorts. Guess what I'll be doing today...

    I'd love for you to come share this at our Pinteresting Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I always have so many pairs too!

      Delete
  3. Hi there! I actually have a pair of jeans on right now that look exactly like your ripped jeans! And I still love them cuz they fit great. I told the hubs that I wanted to cut them but it takes forever for them to fray nicely, so this will be the perfect solution... I'm going to cut them up tomorrow! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya- it's like why let a good-fitting pair of jeans go to waste?
      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. You are funny. Hanging the cat on your leg going about town didn't work for you??? I have to do this but the torn jeans are my son't so it won't quite work out the same way. Wish me luck! I used to sew a lot but it's for whatever reason, been a while.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha shocking that it didn't work, right?! Good luck with your sewing though!

      Delete